Friday, May 30, 2008

The comedic genius of Harvey Korman



Yesterday Harvey Korman passed away.

I grew up watching him on the Carol Burnett Show and laughing my butt off to him. Whether he played opposite Carol Burnett, Vicki Lawrence, Lyle Waggoner, the weekly guest star or his comedic foil, Tim Conway- he was always stellar. He also voiced The Great Gazoo in The Flintstones cartoon show as well as a ton of other characters. One of his most iconic was probably his role of the dastardly villain in 1974 movie, Mel Brooks' "Blazing Saddles" as Hedley Lamarr.

My mom always loved his over the top characters that he'd portray and while she never grasped the English language that well, she understood his comedy. Today I'll miss them both.

4 comments:

Lori B said...

Harvey Korman was wonderful! I, too, remember watching the Carol Burnett show with my mother. As a child I found the slapstick hilarious and I really enjoyed seeing my mother laughing. It's a special memory.

James Piggott said...

I can never decide if I like Blazing Saddles or Young Frankenstein more.

It's, "to tell a family secret, my grandmother was Dutch." Vs. "Do you also say Frodrick?".

Dave Swartz said...

One of the greatest movies ever. The scenes with Kormon and Brooks are my favorite.

jeremy melton said...

I am sorry to hear he has passed. That scene was shot 4 miles from my house. I know the spot VERY well. When you come back out, i will take you there if you want.