Sunday, March 2, 2008

For all graphic novel geeks



I know there are just a few of you graphic novel geeks out there but if there's one book that I would highly suggest all of you get, it's this one- Shaun Tan's Arrival. It's completely wordless and yet it tells such a wonderful story. The artwork inside is as lush as anything I've seen; Shaun Tan's work is absolutely stunning and technically beautiful. The amount of detail that goes into each frame is immense and the huge spreads are epic in proportion. The storytelling is brisk and has twists and unexpected turns throughout.

Funny thing was it was my wife that saw it at the local comic book shop. It was neatly stashed away on the top shelf and it is that- this book is most definitely top shelf. It's got my big time thumbs WAY up recommendation if you've got a few buck to spend on some quality eye candy.

4 comments:

imran said...

i'm gonna be hunting for this one on my next outing dave :D

Wayne Porter said...

me too!

Unknown said...

Hi, Dave Chow, from Carolyn's librarian sister Pam! I checked this out of the library the other day and ran home to "read" it. It's really cool! I also checked out another graphic novel titled "Laika" (about the Russian space dog). Highly recommend that one as well, but have a hanky ready.

Dave Chow Illustrations said...

And if I don't have a hanky ready for "Laika", that's what sleeves and shirt tails are for.