Sunday, March 25, 2007

Grey marker demo


Last Friday, I did a lightning quick demo in my Storyboard class on using grey markers.

Here's the final piece. The original line drawing was for Dodge Avenger. I scanned in the black and white linework, printed it out onto Letramax marker pad, and went at it with Prismacolor French Grey markers. I apply markers like water colors- building from the lightest colors to the darkest, often times working wet-on-wet to achieve some blends.

This is serious old school methodology utilizing markers but for me, it's still quick and effective. I'm slowly but surely learning the nuances of my new Wacom tablet but between work, teaching and every other third obligation, my learning curve's been a little flat. The folks at Wacom say it's very intuitive and fortunately it is. I'm just trying to blend the best of analog and digital into my storyboard frames now.

5 comments:

Angie Lai said...

yay! dave is blogging!! very nice marker sketch. french grey markers! they look good. BTW, i never realized how jim davis-y your style is, i love it! I hope to see more stuff from you on your blog...

Dave Chow Illustrations said...

Jim Davis? As in the Garfield the Cat guy? Sigh... I'm nearly insulted but yeah, being influenced by cartoons all of my life tends to make me that way I guess.

Angie Lai said...

What? his work is classic! I grew up on it as one of my childhood heroes and influences. I do not mean it as an insult of course, but really as a something that is familiar. great stuff as always dave...

Dave Chow Illustrations said...

No insult taken at all.

It's amazing who some of our childhood idols and influences turn out to be. Obviously Jim Davis' influence has worked out to your advantage as well, Angie. Thanks!

DMBoyleDesign said...

I see where Angie is coming from on this one. When you think about it- working in that sort of style is great because it's so readable. Great for storyboards and for comic panels. ;)

BTW- Ol' Fitzy would be proud of the core you have running through that car Dave! Maybe there is hope for your ID skills after all. ;)